Stop what you’re doing, people, and listen up. Remember what I wrote about Japanese pop megastar Hamasaki Ayumi being engaged to young, non-African American Brooklynite Timothy Something Something? Well, according to this Yahoo Japan Entertainment News article things may not be as crystal clear as the rumors first suggested. Turns out: The rumors may just be rumors. And what’s more, there are all sorts of rumors about those rumors.
What’s going on here?
* Last week, the Shukan Bunshun reported the scoop and essentially none of the wideshows, sports papers, or entertainment gossip rags picked up the story — despite the fact that this is the biggest deal since Seiko and Jeff.
* The Bunshun writes that Tim is half “Irish-American” and half-French, by the way.
* Turns out this whole story starts at Tiffany’s where a clerk overheard our young foreign protagonist say that he was buying an engagement ring for the “Japanese Britney Spears.” (He may have said other things, but the constant repetition of that Deep Blue Something song in the background drowned everything out.)
* But get this: Her management company (Avex) “furiously” denies that conversation ever took place. And management companies never ever lie to protect the image of their clients! But they went as far as to create (or find, perhaps) proof that the conversation never took place, which led all the other media sources to (totally unsurprisingly) back off from the story for fear of losing access to other Avex talent and working knees.
* Now Bunshun writes that Avex refused to condone the wedding as Hamasaki is essentially the sole source of profit for the company.
* The rest of the article basically insinuates that Timothy is gay. (The Japanese media is a harsh bunch if they’re not in your pocket. And, they really need her to get back together with the guy from Tokio — or else.)
* Oh, only if the outcome of this story actually mattered!